7.5.08

Goodbye, Mr. Uemura

Much loved and respected in the fashion and beauty world, Mr. Shu Uemura passed away at the end of 2007. And though he had sold the company to L'Oréal quite a few years before his passing, his brand continued the vision of cosmetic products with minimalistically romantic packaging and beneficial skincare quality.

Outside Japan, Shu Uemura is hugely popular in Hong Kong, where there are more than 10 locations. I came across this photo of a tram with images of the iconic cleansing oil all over.
Visiting a Shu Uemura boutique is always a fun experience. The interior design is a combination of stainless steel, opaque plastics and glass interior design, offering an urban, airy atmosphere to shop in. Service is excellent particularly in Hong Kong, where the sales ladies greet you with a luminous, beautifully made-up face, and ready to share a tip or two.
Mr. Uemura will be greatly missed. He was a self-made man in an era when few men in the world dared to pick up a makeup brush and say "I want to make women beautiful." Well, he certainly did. And we love him for it.

5 comments:

fuzkittie said...

I saw a tribute to him in VoCE as well, what a great inspiring man. I love Shu, and everything they make! I only wish one day I can visit an actual Shu store~~~ *dreamy*

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

I'm really starting to get into Shu stuff! I cant wait to goto the Shu shop in HK, that if/when I know I can goto HK this summer... hopefully i can... cos there's gonna be major hauling! lol.

Wow L'oreal is a frickin' huge brand name.. biggest cosmetic company in the world right?

cheryl said...

fuzkittie: u're in the u.s., rite? yea there are only a handful of shu boutiques there...

nic: hey it'll be cool if u go to hk this summer, but gosh it's REALLY muggy that time of the year XO i'm guessing loreal and estee lauder are the 2 biggest cosmetic corporations in the world...almost every brand out there is under one of them...

na said...

I've heard a lot about the cleansing oil, but I've never actually paid any close attention to his products. I always walk past the Shu store on my way through the mall, but have never actually went inside.

What do you recommend?

cheryl said...

emilee: u're lucky to have a shu store at your local mall! i'd recommend the cleansing oil. according to your skin type, there're a few versions to choose from - light (pink), antioxidant (green), classic (the original) and enriched (for mature skin). have the SA try it on the back of your hand by the in-store sink!