31.1.09

Shall We?

Those of you who are familiar with this blog know that I love exclusive niche skincare. I really like smaller brands. It's just so nice to get to know a small collection with succinct products.

Created by the mother-and-daughter team of Karen and Kristin Petrovich, sjal (pronounced "shaal") offers only 7 products so far. I have the full-size balans cleanser and the serum 1, and a few samples.


The cleanser (on the very left) has African whitewood extract, fig leaf extract, pearl extract, gold, silver and geranium as active ingredients. It is a thick gel that doesn't foam. It smells a little lemony. Two pumps does a good job of cleansing if you don't have a lot of makeup on.

For me, it's a tiny bit dry afterwards, but it's fine if you follow it up with a moisturiser.

The serum (on the very right) is the most expensive item in the collection, with hyaluronic acid, Brazilian algae, grapeseed extract, pomegranate extract, platinum, gold, silver, blue-and-green copper and a lot more.

One pump of the stuff is enough for the entire face and neck. I'd use even less than that, because it's so packed with goodies. It is a runny, iridescent gel that gets absorbed quickly.

I started using it in autumn, and it felt like it was too rich. I think I should just use a pea-sized amount from now on.

Check out their website. It's a fun read...

9 comments:

fuzkittie said...

I would call you the queen of niche skincare in a heartbeat! I love all the unique brands that you show us~~ :D

Mocha said...

They all look very interesting, and tempting - the packaging is so minimal too. I believe when the time comes and I can afford I would give it a go... but for the time being it's too expensive. =(

MzUnicaHija19 said...

These looks fab, I am looking for a new skincare products. My skin is getting in my nerves lately. I never had problems when I was in my teenage years but lately I am breaking out here and there, to make it worst I am a keloid former. URGH!

ok, Im venting out here already. lol

Angie said...

Haha you always blog about the most interesting and unique brands! I love it! You teach me so many things I wouldn't learn elsewhere!

Hahha yeah, it's quite elaborate. I go through phases where I use a very minimal amount of skincare items, and then I use a ton. haha. My skin is just awful lately, so I feel like I need this all. It's helping ... =P

Anonymous said...

Oh that skincare line sounds interesting. I've been alright lately, hope your doing well. Yeh I've been planning on buying off sasa.com but the high USD is a bit of a put off for now.

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

this brand sounds really interesting!! and perhaps expensive too ;)

Anonymous said...

Where do you store all your skin care products!? Cuz it seems to me you have quite a collection lol...This brand does sound interesting though. I wish I was as adament about taking care of my skin as you are, I'm lucky if i remember to wash my face at night haha.

Angie said...

Hahha I totally agree! We sure send out packages often! =P

Mona said...

i love reading about all these skin care goodies :)
i agree, lush packaging isn't glamorous :P but i'm use to it and even like the paper wrapping haha